Friday, September 21, 2007

A Deep Breath by the Side of the Spiritual Path

I realized I hadn't written anything on the spiritual side of things for a while. I'd gotten into a good meditation routine and done a lot of inspirational reading. Then GenCon shook me out of my routine (in a good way, mostly) and I was off my game for a while after that. I became concerned that I'd lost something in the change of routine.

I finally realized that it was nothing more than that the newness had worn off, that I'd reached the part that mattered, which is truly living the path day to day. Relaxing with that thought, I found comfort again, and actually applied myself better, knowing I'd be staying on this path for a while, at least.

I've had a good week at work. I've felt very centered in spite of the usual adversity that comes with the job. I found the Washington trip inspiring, in a way, in the sense that I felt a sense of community that I don't know if I've ever had at work. I've tended to see myself as very different from the people I've worked with, and kept myself at arm's length. We're all different from everybody else somehow, and I've learned that it's better to emphasize the similiarities if you plan to get along. It's not exactly a new revelation, but each of us have to soak our lessons in over time to really assimilate them. Too often, we haven't really absorbed all of the lessons we think we have, and so we keep experiencing the same problems over and over again until we get it. I'm sure I'll need to get this one again sometime, but I have it for now. :-)

No comments: