Monday, September 03, 2007

Ghost Rider

You've got to admit that the Ghost Rider himself is an arresting image, even if you're not especially a comics fan. I wanted to like this movie, but have to admit that there just wasn't much to it.


This version of how Johnny Blaze becomes the Ghost Rider should have resonance. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the film, but while it's not lacking in dramatic elements, the execution isn't there. You just don't feel it when you watch it. It might've worked better if that story had been the film, and the whole thing had built up to him becoming the Ghost Rider, but I think a lot of people would've been more than a little annoyed if the cool visual they paid to see was just a short bit at the end of a 90 minute family drama.


Nicholas Cage played Johnny Blaze as too much like Elvis Presley for me. That aspect made it too unintentionally funny, and didn't give the Johnny Blaze character any personality of his own. Eva Mendez was fine, if nothing special, as the Hollywood-required love interest. And the actor playing Blackheart (I can't remember his name) frankly looked like a low budget vampire through much of the movie, so I found it hard to take him any more seriously than I took Cage as Johnny Blaze. Peter Fonda didn't convey the proper weight in playing Mephistopheles, but few actors can. Sam Elliot mumbled his way through his part, but that fit the character, so it worked well enough for me.


The plot twist in which Sam's part in things is revealed isn't a twist at all if you've been paying any attention, and especially not if you've seen the movie trailer. The actual Ghost Rider bits and the climax of the film have visual interest, but that's all. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this film, but I just didn't feel anything while I was watching it. The script wasn't bad (if predictable), so I have to lay most of the blame on the acting, and possibly some on the directing. Call this one a 5 on a 1-10 scale, rating it a little higher if you place a high priority on cool visuals, and a little lower if you're looking for an actual story.

No comments: