Sunday, January 06, 2008

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I enjoyed the earlier version starring Gene Wilder, but I'm also a big Tim Burton/Johnny Depp fan, and had to see how the two compared, so I picked this one up via Netflix. I haven't read the source material, so I can't intelligently comment regarding which was more faithful to it. As I understand it, Tim Burton was a huge fan of the original book and was appalled by the differences between the book and the first movie version, which is why he wanted to make another one.

All things considered, the earlier version was probably more accessible to most audiences, and the pacing was better (Tim Burton's version suffers from slow spots, especially in the beginning). However, I think I prefer the Tim Burton version overall.

I didn't enjoy the music very much in either version. The songs were catchier in the original, but the Oompa Loompas are less annoying in the newer version. The special effects were obviously far better in the newer version.

I liked both Willy Wonkas, though I preferred Johnny Depp's more disturbing take on the character. Many critics felt that the parental subplot in Burton's version was unnecessary. I completely disagree. That subplot made sense of Depp's peculiar take on Wonka without taking up too much screen time.

The performances by most of the kids were better in the newer version, except that I preferred the original Charlie.

Most significantly, I far preferred the ending of the newer version. In the original version, Charlie misbehaves just as the other kids do, though he's able to save himself from serious consequences. In the newer version, not only does Charlie behave himself, he truly earns his reward at the end, and it's more satisfying.

Call this one a seven on a 1-10 scale. I'd cheerfully have given it another one or two points if the overall pacing had been better.

No comments: