Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

I don't know that starting the year with a post of bit and pieces is a good idea, but it's what's on my mind at the moment.

Here's to Doc Aether and his bride-to-be, with whom my wife and I shared a post-Christmas lunch. We don't see each other in person often, but it's always a pleasure when we do.

I stand corrected on my previous post re: Madonna and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I found out that Gwen Stefani acknowledges Madonna as a musical influence, and I can see that. I still don't think Madonna belongs, but that's at least one contradictory piece of evidence.

Christmas isn't a one day thing for me. It's a marathon of at least a week, getting together with various family members and friends, local and otherwise. I'm sure it's getting to be more and more that way for everyone.

One of my sisters gifted me with an MP3 player, so I'm finally going to join the world of musical downloads. I'm sure there'll be a learning curve while I figure out how to use the thing and where to find music I'll enjoy.

My other sister bought me a desk catapult. I already have the best desk toys at work; this should build on that reputation.

My niece and nephew were noticeably more personally friendly this year. I think they're old enough now to understand where some of the presents are coming from. :-)

This was more of a clothing Christmas than usual for me, which I'm happy with. Remember when you were a kid and hated getting clothing for Christmas?

My mother asked what my wife got me for Christmas. When I explained that two of the main gifts were a demon skull and an 18 inch talking Pinhead figure, she just shook her head. In spite of my spiritual inclinations, I've always enjoyed creepy images, going back to when I was very young. As a kid in my single digit years, I had these Styrofoam airplanes called Freaky Fliers that included images like a disembodied flying eyeball, and a small plastic figure of something called Rat Fink (see Ed "Big Daddy" Roth if you want a visual) that was given to me by an uncle. I haven't figured out why I've always had an affinity for images that most people would find creepy; it's just been part of me as far back as I can remember.

Books are big for me almost every year, and this year was no exception. Philosophy, psychology, and biography were this year's subjects. Now what I need is time to read.

Gift cards are fine to receive as gifts so you can get whatever you want, and they're certainly convenient for the buyer, but there's little point in trading them with family members who clearly don't get each other. I don't know a good solution to the problem other than choosing not to buy them for others yourself or acknowledging that you can't buy well for each other and agreeing not to exchange gifts. On the other hand, there are some people who are tough to buy for, and who likes to be on the receiving end of a poorly conceived gift?

I went to see the Sweeney Todd movie with some family members. I'll admit up front that I'm a Tim Burton fan, but I must say that this is some of his best work. The acting performances are excellent, almost across the board. Highly recommended! I'm afraid there might be too much blood for mainstream success, though.

I've signed up for a yoga class beginning in mid-January. I didn't seek this out. It was offered at work, and I just thought it might be interesting to try. Even if it's a mistake, at least it'll be an interesting mistake.

I'm feeling an inclination to play music again, which has been missing for several years now. My musical discussions with one of my step nephews, who is just starting to get serious about playing, are probably an influence here, though I don't think that's all of it. On the other hand, I don't have the time or any other musicians I know who are likely to want to play as little as I would. Once a month would be cool. I already have too much on my plate, so I'll have to give this time and see if the urge passes or builds. I might want to get out my bass and try to get back into practice in case I decide to start playing again. I still have no interest in playing in public again; I'd just want to do it for fun.

I'm still struggling a bit finishing the roleplaying scenario "Fear Itself". I wrote the scenario first and I'm writing the characters afterward, which is the reverse of my usual process, and maybe that has something to do with it.

I really want to see the New England Patriots lose. They're a fine team, and certainly deserve to win this year's NFL championship, but they've already spent too much time on top of the heap and I don't like to see anyone in professional sports win every game. If I could write the story, I'd like to see them lose to the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, then see Brett Favre retire as a winner. I've got a feeling that's not gonna happen, though.

Hope you all had good holidays. And now, back to the regularly scheduled program...

3 comments:

David Herrold said...

Both Ms Aether and myself had a great time too. I wish we lived a bit closer to be able to do that more often.

Glad to hear you got an MP3 player for Christmas. I would suggest you explore the wonderful world of podcasts. There are loads of excellent podcasts covering topics such as writing, gaming, horror, sci-fi and Buddhism. My MP3 player is filled to the brim with these.

Here are a couple of my favorites to get your started:

1. "Yog Radio" - Call of Cthulhu gaming and mythos topics
2. "All Games Considered" - General gaming topics with co-ed hosts - always interesting
3. "Dragon's Landing" - Well written and interesting coverage of Fantasy gaming. Great GMing tips for any genre.
4. "Escape Pod" - Possible one of the best sci-fi podcasts on the internet today
5. "Pseudopod" - The sister podcast of escape pod focusing on horror
6. "This American Life" - The amazing NPR radio feature hosted by Ira Glass

I listen to a mix of these during lunch break at work. They are all filled with great ideas that you will probably enjoy.

I hope you and Mrs Raven have a wonderful year in 2008.

Anonymous said...

Concerning your thoughts on the gift card. When you have no idea what a person could use or what they may want, a gift card is a perfectly good gift. Even for family members. When you have not asked them for ideas, and they have not offered, is it really best to guess on what they may want? When the effort is only made once or twice a year to get together how can someone truely know what another person may want for a gift?

Professor Raven said...

Thanks for the podcast suggestions, Dave. I'd been thinking entirely in terms of music, and was missing that benefit.

Anonymous, re: gift cards. I buy them for people from time to time myself, especially when I'm really stuck on what to get someone. However, I'd rather ask someone what they want, and I still think it's silly when you just end up trading gift cards with someone.