Sunday, January 20, 2008

Losing "Fear"

I'd finally gotten back to working on the In Nomine scenario "Fear Itself" today while I was watching football, and somehow something went wrong with the disc it was on. I lost everything I'd done on it over the last several months.

Granted, I remember a fair amount of it, and the player characters were based on NPCs from a previous scenario (which I still have), but I'll have to re-do all of the player handouts, and some very detailed NPC subplotting will be lost. I'd dug up names for a large number of NPCs, most of whom were named for actors or characters from the old "Dark Shadows" soap opera as an in-joke, and that's all gone. I'd done a fair amount of research on dreams, which I'd just put into the document, and that's all gone. There were four particularly detailed NPCs, which I'll now have to reconstruct.

Worst of all, I don't really know how it happened. Everything had been working fine, and I'd saved it a couple of times in the hour or so before it happened. Sometimes things just happen.

I'm pleased that I didn't so much as utter a swear word in reaction. I'm upset about it, but I'm not throwing things, or falling into deep depression. Heck, maybe I can even make it better than it was, but it'll take time. At least I have the time, since I won't need it until DexCon this summer. I may as well start reconstructing...

1 comment:

David Herrold said...

Yikes. Sorry about that. Have you considered using something like Google Documents to store some of your scenarios in progress as a backup?

I use Google Docs on a regular basis to store and share (if I so choose) the docs in question. That way I know I always have a backup.

Peace out.