Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Gary Gygax

Wow. It's hard to describe how I felt when I read that Gary Gygax had passed away this morning. I can't say that I was a big fan of a lot of his work, but we're talking about one of the two guys who started the entire roleplaying hobby. I started with one of his creations, Dungeons and Dragons, as virtually all of us did. It's not an exaggeration to say that he had a huge impact (at least indirectly) on how I've spent a lot of my free time over the last thirty years or so. D&D was my system of choice for roughly my first ten years of roleplaying, so I'd say I got more than my money's worth of fun out of those earliest D&D books.

A moment of silence, then, and a symbolic tip of my hat to Mr. Gygax for the many hours of enjoyment with my friends that his creation gave us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I concur. I felt a pang of sadness, even though I'm not a huge AD&D fan any longer. I still have some fantastic memories from the game.

I'm sure you'll never forget "It's time to make the donuts."