Friday, March 28, 2008

Shelving the TOON Project

I've decided to put this one aside, primarily because of timing issues. One major aspect of it makes heavy reference to the presidential election, so it would only be funny this year, and the timing of the conventions where I'd be using it this year just isn't good. And by the time of the next presidential election, the other major idea in it is likely to be dated, and not funny anymore.

DexCon would be okay, since it's in July, except that they don't allow for slots less than four hours, and I don't want to pad this one out or write a bunch of other TOON stuff to fill it out to four hours. I already have enough submitted for DexCon anyway. MEPACon allows for two hour slots, but isn't scheduled until after the election, by which time the funny would be lost. GenCon in August would've been perfect, but I don't remember if they'd allow a two hour RPG slot anyway.

The scenario was actually mostly done, except for creating some characters, which is a breeze with TOON. I might finish it up for use as a light RPG for a local game night sometime late this summer, but won't be hitting the convention circuit with it.

Still, no idea is truly wasted. I'll probably get local use out of it anyway, and something from it might turn out to be useful later. At least it made me dig out my TOON book, which might lead to me resurrecting another TOON idea I'd had some time ago, but that's a project for another time.

This brings two GURPS ideas to the top of the project list. My plan is to work on both of them simultaneously to keep boredom from setting in, which sometimes happens when I work on one thing for too long. I don't need either of them until 2009, so I may as well make use of the time. One of the GURPS projects is the next in my Cabal series, and the other will have to stay under wraps for now.

No comments: