Saturday, August 16, 2008

Roleplaying Projects Update

Tomorrow will be the first session of my new home campaign for In Nomine, called "Dramaville". The name comes from a rap song, and is a reference to gang activity in the Reading/Lancaster/Lehigh Valley area. The campaign is going to be about angels trying to deal with that gang activity. I can't claim any real knowledge of the subject matter apart from having done some research, but it's inherently dramatic material, and I'm happy with what I have so far.

The players have at least started creating characters, and we'll start the session by finishing off and fine tuning those characters, then we'll begin actual play, introducing those characters and their situations. If we're lucky, we'll be able to get some of the characters introduced to each other by the end of the session.

I haven't had much success in translating home campaigns to convention material, apart from "Rumspringa" for In Nomine, but I think I might get a convention scenario out of this one before all is said and done, though I'll have to modify the material a lot to make it more focused.

My top secret GURPS crossover project isn't going to work out, and has been shelved. I'm keeping my notes for it in case I find a solution to my problems later, but I'm not optimistic. It's a pity because the title and event description probably would have been a big draw. The scenario itself, however, just doesn't give the players the opportunity to do the things they would want to do with these characters, and any solution I've tried seems to destroy something essential. Maybe something else will come to mind if I step away from it for a while.

And so I'm moving on to my next GURPS Cabal scenario. The characters are already made, except for one new character, and I already have an outline of the story idea written months ago, so this might go quickly. The previous Cabal scenario didn't draw especially well, but I attribute that more to my event description (not one of my best) than anything else.

I'd like to have an addtional GURPS scenario for next year, but now that the crossover project has been shelved, I need another idea. I have a rough idea for a Doctor Who scenario, but GURPS Doctor Who may not be a good choice with a new licensed Doctor Who system coming out soon. If I can't come up with something good to run with GURPS and a strong idea emerges from the Dramaville campaign, I may be doing more In Nomine next year than I'd planned.

No comments: