Sunday, October 05, 2008

A Glorious Morning

I was staying in a hotel in Baltimore early this past Saturday morning. The reasons for being there are a long story, and not really worth discussion. My wife had somewhere she had to be very early, leaving me alone in the room before sunrise, and too awake to go back to sleep.

So I turned out all of the lights in the room and opened the curtains wide, providing a fine view out over the Inner Harbor in darkness. I simply looked out the window for a while, drinking in the view.

Then I decided to do my morning yoga, and spent some time doing that, still facing the window when I could. I had no plans before 1 PM, so there was no reason to rush. There was a bit of a glow on the horizon by the time I was done. After finishing my usual routine, I piled a bunch of cushions and pillows on the bed, building a comfortable little platform to sit on for meditation.

My wife had done the packing and hadn't thought to pack the timer I usually use when I meditate, but this was no problem, since it was going to be a long time before I had to be anywhere in particular and I seriously doubted that I could meditate long enough for it to be an issue, so I got comfortable and settled in.

I'm not sure how long I was actually there. It was at least twenty minutes and possibly as long as forty minutes. By the time I was finished, the sun was just peeking over a building in the distance, and I was able to enjoy simply watching the sun rise for a little while.

Then I had breakfast while reading an inspirational book (taking occasional breaks to enjoy the fine view of the harbor and people just starting to move around in the area) before getting ready for the rest of the day. It wouldn't be anyone's idea of excitement, but it was certainly a wonderful way to start the day.

No comments: