Sunday, February 15, 2009

2009 Game Convention Plans

I'm planning a lean year on the convention front, for various reasons. DexCon 2009 in July is a definite, and I anticipate visiting some friends in northern PA for a sort of private con in May or so, and that's it.

For DexCon, I plan to run "Lives in the Balance" for GURPS Cabal and the new humorous Sorcerer scenario I haven't finished or named yet (though I do have a fair number of notes for it). I'll offer "Fear Itself" for In Nomine again, and probably a four player version of "A Dance of Pairs" for Sorcerer. I'd like to offer the sequel I've started for "A Slice of Blackwoods" for GURPS Banestorm, but I'm not sure I can finish it in time.

So why such a lean year for roleplaying conventions? I still love PoliCon, but I don't think I'm going to have anything appropriate ready in time. If I finish the new Sorcerer scenario in time I might try it, but it's unlikely. I've already run Sorcerer at the last two PoliCons, and I feel as though I've gone to that particular well too many times. I could run something with Fluid, which is my own design (good for this crowd) and very low prep, but I'd like to have a high level of enthusiasm the first time I present it and I just don't have that right now.

I'd like to go to GenCon again, but a couple of factors (mostly financial) came together against it. The fall MEPACon is far enough away that it's still a possibility if a lot of things change by then, and I'd offer the same events for MEPACon as I will for DexCon if it happens, but it's not in my plans at this time.

Several factors seem to be pushing me away from being as active at roleplaying conventions as I've been in the past, so I'm going to roll with that, keep my foot in the door by going to DexCon and maintaining contact with my roleplaying friends, and see what next year brings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be missed this weekend at Dreamation but I'm already looking forward to that Banestorm sequel over the summer!

Anonymous said...

I did a quick google search for PoliCon and came up empty. Do you have a weblink for them?

Professor Raven said...

Sorry, no links for PoliCon. It's more like a large gaming party with three or four events running at a time than a convention per se, and attendance is by invitation. Many of the participants are the same people you'll find running the indie events at Dreamation.

I hope to get that Banestorm sequel in place in time. My notes are extensive, so I have a solid idea as to where I'm going with it, but the character background handouts for the players (not to mention GURPS character sheets) will take some serious time to write, so it won't be easy.