Sunday, May 02, 2010

Local Cabal Campaign - First Session

We finally got my new GURPS Cabal campaign off the ground this past weekend. We got off to a good start, with some of the characters actually meeting before they were supposed to. Surprises like that are one of the reasons that RPGs can be better than fiction at times. The group consists of a voodoo priestess trying to locate a lost mystical artifact, a ghost trying to solve her own murder, the reincarnation of Sir Kay of the Round Table, a vampire trying to mainstream as a police officer (working night shift, naturally), and an apparently regular guy in his late teens who simply can't be permanently killed by any means.

I've already been able to weave in an abundance of references to my ongoing GURPS Cabal convention sessions, and will start working references to the home campaign into the convention sessions when I start writing the next one.

One of the more entertaining aspects for me is that I've tied together bits of all of the characters' backgrounds a few layers beneath the obvious, so that those ties will eventually surface as fun surprises for the players. It reminds me of the Lost TV series. As those common elements are revealed, the result should be a conclusion with epic consequences for all involved, effectively ending the campaign, but my best estimate is that it will take about two years for that to happen.

No comments: