Sunday, July 04, 2010

The Tudors

I started watching "The Tudors" based on heavy recommendations from the people I work with. Very good stuff. I've watched the entire first season and all but the last episode of the second so far.

High marks across the board for acting, writing, etc. The series has come under some criticism for being historically inaccurate, which I think misses the point. I'm far from an expert on the history part of it, and even I caught the occasional historical glitch, but it's good drama.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers is fascinating to watch as King Henry, reconstructing reality to suit his desires on the fly. And Natalie Dormer is great as Anne Boleyn, scheming her way up the ladder at court, only to find herself seeing threats around every corner when she gets there. I miss Sam Neill's Cardinal Wolsey from season one; he was my favorite character for that season.

Highly recommended unless the historical inaccuracies especially bother you.

No comments: