Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sick, Sick, Sick

I don't get sick very often in recent years, maybe once/year on average, but when I do, it's serious business.

I picked up some sort of cold last weekend, missed three days of work, and I'm still feeling the effect today.  I have virtually no voice, and I'm still coughing constantly.  It's too frequent for me to meditate, and yoga is tough to do when you start hacking every time you bend over even a little. 

This particular cold variant involved a very sore throat, which is deadly for me.  I'm used to coping with nasal congestion due to my allergies, but adding in the serious sore throat left me struggling for every breath for a couple of days.  Breathing felt as though someone was scraping a razor blade across my throat with each inhalation.  I wasn't able to get more than 2 1/2 hours sleep at a time, which doesn't help the healing process one bit.

JW had to cancel practice this weekend because Keith is sick as well (wouldn't surprise me if it's the same thing I've got), which would ordinarily annoy me, but turns out to be a break in this case.  I really dislike that we're missing two weeks in a row after the gig again, but there it is.

Work stress certainly has something to do with this.  I've been buried for a little over a month now, and was trying to get things cleared up in time for my anticipated October vacation and a big organizational change at work starting 10/22.  Got to put credit where it's due, though, and say that my boss did cut me off from receiving new claims for the two days I made it in this week, to give me the opportunity to get my feet under me before my vacation.

So I'm definitely worn around the edges today, and still coughing up a storm.  I've got some work to do around the house, but I absolutely must get some rest and truly recover before work goes crazy on 10/22.

No comments: