Sunday, January 13, 2013

Meditation/Work Pressure

Work is not a good place to be right now.  The short version is that we've been saddled with a very top down plan by a new Big Cheese who apparently doesn't remember the realities of desk level work.  It is literally impossible to do our jobs, as the volume of work daily far exceeds the time available and there is no opportunity to gain ground unless you work far more hours than anyone is likely to work.  A lot of people tried working extra hours, only to find that they were simply falling behind at a slower rate, so they simply gave up. 

One of the arguments we've heard a lot lately from management is that this isn't necessarily a 40 hour/week job.  I see the point, and have no problem with having to work some extra time to get over a temporary overload, but when you lose ground on even the lightest days, you've got to wonder what sort of estimated work hours they're using in their calculations.  This is usually the lightest time of year, so what happens when things get really busy?

Not to mention that we still have the same number of people total doing the work, so this new method is demonstrably less effective than what we were doing before.  How is this better?

So keeping my mental balance is more important than ever before.  My meditation practice was slacking for a while under the pressure, as I was having trouble sleeping due to the stress and needed the sleep more than the meditation.  I had to learn to let go of the anger and remember to play the long game here.  My mental fortitude has to outlast Big Cheese's willingness to put up with bad results.  I've done well enough for the last week after losing my balance for a while.

One of my books nailed it, reminding me to do my best and forget about results.  I'd predicted before any of this started that the true crash wouldn't come until April or May, so this is going to take time.

No comments: