Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Creative Burst

"A Slice of Blackwoods" is entirely finished now, down to the last detail, except for a playtest and some tweaking that'll come out of that playtest. So I pulled out my "Dance of Pairs" notes and started piecing things together, then expanded a bit on what I had, and was surprised to see how close I am to being finished with that one as well. All I need to do is finish writing two player handouts, make the actual character sheets (I already have the character stats done) and go over everything to make sure all of the characters have enough "bangs" to keep events moving, and that one'll be ready for playtest as well.

Since I'm doing so much of my writing in bits and pieces away from home, and can't do the rest of "Dance of Pairs" anywhere but home, I started thinking ahead to what I wanted to do next. I decided to work on another In Nomine story (probably involving Eli, the missing archangel of creativity), and started looking through my books, but wasn't finding any inspiration. I gave up for the night, feeling a little discouraged.

I woke up uncharacteristically early the next day (Saturday), bursting with ideas that had nothing to do with Eli, and wrote everything down before I could forget it. Before I was done about an hour and a half later, I had notes for two different In Nomine scenarios, a quality short segment for TOON, and a much-improved version of an earlier long-form idea I'd had for TOON. So now I have more than enough to work with for a while.

I guess the archangel of creativity wasn't ready to have his story told yet, and decided that constructively distracting me was the best way to handle it. :-)

1 comment:

David Herrold said...

Have you ever wondered where those ideas come from? Is your muse made of random synapses firing willy nilly or is it something more?