Tuesday, March 13, 2007

RPG Activity

I've re-started the home GURPS Firefly campaign, and it's going well. I ran the first season last year, and it was essentially about the characters coming together as a crew and getting to know each other. There were some nice elements, but we lacked the dangerous edge that River Tam's situation brought to the source material.

The start of our second season remedied that. In what was originally planned to be the first season finale, we had a player character death (sacrificing himself to save another) and the player crew wreaking havoc on an Alliance military ship in an attempt to rescue two kids who ultimately weren't even on that ship. The two kids had psi potential and had been taken involuntarily by two of the Blue Hands. They were actually on another ship, but the players didn't know that at the time.

The second session of season two completed the rescue after the crew found where the kids had actually been taken. But now they've got a huge target painted on their backs after these two incidents and we now have the edge I'd hoped would develop. The next few sessions should be lively.

On the convention front, this is going to be the leanest year I've had in ages. I had to cancel going to the private convention this month due to personal issues, and was unable to get the time away from work to go to DexCon in its entirety (though I'll still go Saturday/Sunday). I'm only running three games at GenCon. I'm skipping MEPACon in the spring, and probably in the fall as well. PoliCon is going to be the usual single day for me. Maybe next year will be more promising.

I'll be running "A Slice of Blackwoods" for GURPS Banestorm, "Controlling Interest" for GURPS Cabal, and "Rumspringa" for In Nomine at DexCon. I'll be running "A Slice of Blackwoods" for GURPS Banestorm, my old favorite "Lilim Faire" for In Nomine, and "Well Being" for Sorcerer for GenCon. I plan to run "Rumspringa" for In Nomine for PoliCon.

On the positive side, I won't need as much material this year as in years past. "A Slice of Blackwoods" is essentially done, though I'm still finishing some details of the character sheets such as personal equipment. Creatively, I'm working on "A Dance of Pairs" for Sorcerer, which is largely done except for actually statting out the characters, but that's easy to do with Sorcerer and I won't need it this year anyway. I plan to keep writing, because it's what I do, and a little inventory is a Good Thing. After "A Dance of Pairs", I'll most likely write the next installment of the GURPS Cabal series and another In Nomine scenario, but I'm also itching to write more Paranoia and would like to try out Mortal Coil as well. There's just never enough time to write everything I want to do.

No comments: