Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Making My House Boring and a Dream

As part of the staging process, we have to make our house more conventionally attractive. In a word, boring. :-)

I've packed away the little plush Cthulhu that was perched on a globe, ruling his own little world. I've packed away my books with more, um, colorful titles. I've packed away my funky gargoyle statues, and my demon skull with horns (nicknamed "Basil"). It's all gone away to our handy little storage area, not to be seen for at least several months.

One of the few concessions to our own taste is a fair amount of Asian flavor in the decor. Frankly, it'd be hard to clear it all out, and it's as close to conventional as we get on our own, so we're going with it.

It's amazing how much we've cleared out, and yet how much there is to go. This is going to take a while.

I had a strange dream last night. I was climbing a steep mountain alone at night, with no sign of people around anywhere. I eventually came to a road, which led to a school building. The school was all lit up, and there were parked cars surrounding it. I walked to the school and went in, finding that there was a high school girls' basketball game going on. Well, it was a girls' game, except for the fact that my friend Nathan was playing on one of the teams, and nobody seemed to question that a thirtysomething-year-old man was playing. After the game was over (I think Nate's team won, but not by much), I was having trouble finding my wallet, and hung around looking for it for a while, remembering that my wife would be mad as hell because I'd just lost my wallet recently (in dream world, not the real world), and doing it again wouldn't go over well. I think I found it eventually, though I don't remember for sure as I'm writing this. Then I left the school and went back down the mountain. The time of day had miraculously changed to daylight as I left the school. When I reached the bottom, I met my wife at a sort of carnival location, which didn't seem to be open. There were posters everywhere, and not one of them was in the English language. Several were in Russian, and others seemed to be in Chinese, though I couldn't know for sure. We were all by ourselves there, and I don't know why. Then I woke up. I'm not sure what any of it means, but the part where Nate was playing on a high school girls' basketball team cracked me up.

I've been crazybusy with packing up the house and a rough week at work, which is why I've been quiet on the blogging front lately. The only reason this got written is because I was doing it while watching "Lost" on TV. Hopefully it won't be so long until the next post, as I've got a lot going on right now.

2 comments:

David Herrold said...

HA!

I always thought Nate might end up playing on a girls basketball team and now my hunches are confirmed by your dream.

I only hope Nate reads this.

Unknown said...

i like the fact that you referred to me in this post as both Nathan and Nate, because at times i feel like both.
i have no intention of psychoanalysing your dream.
um..i did think of an idea for the new fangled role playing game...i'll write ya about it.