Sunday, June 10, 2007

"Mama Falls Out"

I just returned from a funeral in South Carolina. My mother picked up an interesting slice of local culture along the way. She was talking to her friend Denise about funerals, and Denise was explaining why she didn't like to go to funerals with her mother anymore. "Mama falls out", she explained.

"Falls out of what?", asked my mother.

Denise laughed and went on to explain that in her particular Southern subculture, some people go into spectacular displays of grief at funerals, to the point of literally falling on the floor crying and sobbing. This is called "falling out". Apparently it's not unusual there for at least one or two people to do that at each funeral.

Everywhere you go, people do things a little differently, and this is consistently fascinating to me.

1 comment:

David Herrold said...

Wow. I have never heard of this, but it sounds very Southern. And by Southern, I mean eccentric and weird.

Nobody can do eccentric like Southerners.