Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!

First of all, a Happy Father's Day to my father, with whom I share a love of games, a fairly sociable nature, and (increasingly) a hairline. Thanks for teaching me chess, which was one of the main things that started my involvement with games. Our taste in games rarely matches, but the game gene seems to be there in general, and is lasting a lifetime. My wife has often stated that much of what she loves about me comes from my father. Thanks for your contributions to my sense of humor, which I'm sure is one of those things.

Thanks to my father-in-law, who embraced my relationship with his daughter wholeheartedly. He's been there for us in many tough situations. He's been my Sunday football buddy for the last couple of years. Now if only I could get him to teach me a few of his poker tricks...

Thanks to my former sensei Ralph Jenkins, who was a spiritual father to me, whether he realized it or not. It was the eastern spirituality that came with my martial arts teaching that has taken me down an especially useful path, not to mention the benefits of good physical conditioning during my younger years.

And thanks to my stepfather, who married my mother after I'd left home. He allowed me to stay in his home for a couple of months during the lowest point of my life when he could've said "no". I don't think we ever understood each other at all, but he made my mother happy during their years together and we eventually learned to co-exist.

No comments: