Monday, June 18, 2007

More Movies

We just rented the American remake of "Pulse". Meh. I hope the Japanese original was better. Kristen Bell sure is cute, though, in a generic sort of way, and gives the only performance that's even marginally interesting.

I was going to write a more detailed review, but this movie doesn't deserve it. I'll just say that there are a couple of cool shots, but it's not worth sitting through an entire film to see them. Everything else is just blah. It's a three on a scale of 1-10.

"Pan's Labyrinth" was better, though I can't see how this movie won awards. I couldn't tell you what exactly I think is wrong with it, because it's not so much that there was something wrong with it as that it just didn't connect with me.

Predictability was a problem. The only character I cared the least bit about was Mercedes, and I suspect that was because she was the only character with a real question about what was going to happen to her. I knew what was going to happen for every other character within the first five seconds they were on screen.

The fantasy sequences were sufficiently fun, especially the one with the Pale Man (the one with eyes in his hands), though I wouldn't recommend sitting through an entire movie to see them.

The real world parts of the film were more engaging to me, even if the results were predictable. The performances were fine, if not exceptional. I'd still give this movie only a five out of ten, and wouldn't recommend it unless you think you'd really enjoy the fantasy sequences.

No comments: