Saturday, July 14, 2007

I Will Show You Fear in a Handful of Dice

I'd love to use this as a title or description for a roleplaying convention event, but it strongly implies a Sandman connection, and I just don't have that story right now. Maybe something will come to mind later. My experimental Fluid system or Mortal Coil would probably work well for a Sandman scenario, but neither of them use dice, making the title inappropriate.

It does, however, make a cool title for something I'm thinking about at the moment. I've been reviewing my RPG scenarios for DexCon and GenCon, and it's getting me back into RPG mode.

I'd hoped that my next convention scenario would be for In Nomine, but was having trouble finding an idea that was appealing enough to follow through and wasn't something I'd done before. I've done a number of angels vs. demons scenarios, which are a great deal of fun, but I was getting the sense from players that they felt we'd done this before, and hadn't drawn as many players with the last one, though I'd felt it was truly different in several respects, being steeped in Amish culture and using some character types I hadn't used previously. I hoped to find something for a new scenario that had a metaphor that would resonate somehow with my real concerns, so I could stay connected to what I was doing, and I think I've found it. The subject is fear and ignorance, and how the two are often connected. I'll have to get some ideas down before I forget them. This could be good.

2 comments:

David Herrold said...

I know this may seem crazy, but that quote just might remind some folks of T.S. Elliot. I suspect Mr. Gaiman might have read some Elliot at some point in time.

And I think that's a fantastic quote for a game title. It would also make a great Simpson's Halloween episode if you exchange the word "dust" with "donuts."

Professor Raven said...

This is what happens when a classic gets borrowed for another purpose, and I try to post when I'm barely awake. :-) I know the quote from both sources, but at the time only remembered the use of the phrase from the ads when Sandman was new. I don't know if it was Gaiman or someone in the marketing department at DC who decided to use it, but that's the usage that stuck in my head. A lot of gamers would probably associate it the same way I did, though. I started writing the scenario this morning, and will probably use it.