Monday, November 05, 2007

Ethics for the New Millenium

Yes, it's been awhile again between posts. The excrement impacted upon the rotary oscillating device at work, and I was busy for a while.

In all of that, however, I managed to read a particularly good book, "Ethics for the New Millennium" by the Dalai Lama. In this book, the Dalai Lama makes a case that it's more than a Good Idea for human beings to get along; it's essential to our survival as a species. It all made so much sense to me. Highly recommended reading for anyone interested in the importance of human beings learning to get along and how they can do it. I'd cheerfully lend my copy to anyone who asks. The world just might be an incrementally better place each time someone reads this book.

I'm currently reading "Dalai Lama: Man, Monk, Mystic", which is supposed to be a biography, and reads more like a history of Tibet once you get past his childhood. I'd been hoping for a non-Buddhist's take on who he is as a human being, even though the book is officially authorized, but the books he's written himself tell me more about who he is than this one does. Informative, and I enjoyed reading it, but wouldn't recommend it unless you have a special interest.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next, but I don't think it'll be about the Dalai Lama or written by him. :-)

No comments: