Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Another Shot of Fluid

My home roleplaying group assembled to play this past Sunday, and my expectation was that at the end of the session, we'd vote on whether to return to GURPS Firefly, continue developing Fluid Firefly, or do something else entirely. I was fully ready to proceed with any of those options. The group's decision was one that wasn't even on the chart.

The consensus of the group was to continue with Fluid as a system, and with Firefly as a setting, but reboot the campaign and start with an entirely new cast of characters. I truly hadn't seen that one coming. And so instead of playing that session, we spent the time creating a new cast of characters with (hopefully) better conceived personal relationships. Now I'm really curious about what the next session will bring.

The upside of this for me is that I keep the group's help in further developing Fluid as an enjoyable system to use for the campaign. It's a validation that the players liked the system enough to date to choose it when other options were on the table. It's a good sign.

On the downside, my GURPS GMing skills are bound to slide a bit from lack of practice, and I'll need them for the next convention season. But I suppose I could always run some kind of GURPS mini-campaign in the spring to get back up to speed.

No comments: