Friday, December 14, 2007

Veronica Mars - Season One

I finished watching this yesterday, and had a few thoughts on it. As I'd said before, the quality writing is the best reason to watch it. I found the ending satisfying without necessarily tying up everything (since a TV series has to have somewhere to go next season). I'll probably watch the second season at some point, but for now I need a break, and the Netflix review consensus seems to be that later seasons weren't as good as the first, anyway.

One thing that didn't make sense to me is Veronica's taste in men. Most women will be attracted to men who are very much like their father in some respects, while a minority will look for men as different from their father as they can manage. Either way, it's a reaction to their father, which is understandable, since he's the first man that's important in her life (assuming he's present to raise her). Since Veronica's father is a main character on the series, we get to know him fairly well, so we can accurately judge whether or not this is true for Veronica, and it's not even close.

Why does she seem to be attracted to men with a serious psychotic streak? I don't just mean men who have quirks or "bad boys", but men who suddenly become loud and sometimes violent with little provocation. I understand that these are teen characters, and therefore less stable than adults, but they seemed over the top to me, even by teen standards. The police deputy is obviously an exception, but I can't see why he'd hold any attraction for Veronica, either, apart from the fact that he works in law enforcement and is a little older than her. That doesn't seem like much, and she's clearly less attracted to him than she is to the psychotics, in any case. I could understand one strange guy happening to appeal to her for some reason, but the fact that it happens more than once makes it a pattern, and that bothers me. I prefer to see romantic relationships that make some kind of sense, even when they're not what you'd call healthy relationships.

Creative work inevitably tells you something about the point of view of the person (or people) creating it, so what does this tell us about Rob Thomas, the guy behind this series? I don't know anything about him, so I don't even have a basis from which to speculate. I just know that it doesn't square with the more accurate perceptions of human behavior otherwise seen in the series. Don't get me wrong here. I enjoyed this series, and would recommend it to almost anyone. I just don't understand that particular aspect of it.

No comments: