Thursday, September 25, 2008

Veronica Mars, Season Two

I just finished watching season two of Veronica Mars. While I agree with the apparent Netflix consensus that season two isn't quite as strong as season one, there's some fine writing, and season two wraps up the most significant loose end from season one.


The plot isn't nearly as focused as season one, which I'm sure is a huge part of why it doesn't work as well overall. However, it covers a lot more dramatic territory, focusing less on Veronica personally and more on the supporting cast. It's a bigger, more ambitious story, if not packing as much emotional punch, except for the last episode.


I particularly like that overlapping plot lines generate red herrings without actually contradicting the multiple underlying mysteries. Sometimes a mystery is solved, revealing that one of the apparent clues to it isn't actually related, and in fact is part of something else entirely.


On the negative side, Rob Thomas does seem to have a minor case of J.J. Abrams syndrome, having characters take actions that seem inconsistent in order to generate shocking plot twists. I recognize that real people aren't always consistent, but real people aren't as inconsistent as some of these characters.


Veronica's taste in men continues to mystify me. I don't understand her attraction to Duncan in any way, shape, or form unless it's simply that he's wealthy and good looking, and I give her more credit for depth than that. I can understand how Logan's intelligence and bitter humor would appeal to her, but he's said and done so many nasty things to her that I can't understand how she could forgive him. I'm not talking about "bad boy" behavior here; I'm talking about flat out cruelty that seems inherent to his personality. I'd love to hear a woman's point of view on the choices she makes. Unfortunately, I've been unable to convince my wife to watch the show and don't personally know any other women who've watched it.


I'm intrigued enough to watch season three, but first I need a minor break from watching series on Netflix, and then I'll be watching the second season of Dexter.

No comments: