Sunday, October 26, 2008

Music Night

I came home a little while ago from Music Night with Jason and Bob. Adding Bob to the mix was a real help, allowing us to switch off lead vocals and playing guitar as needed, not to mention occasionally harmonizing with each other. I'd prefer to spend more time on bass, which is the more natural instrument for me, but the flip side of that is that this has been a real opportunity for me to improve on guitar.

Bob and I were able to pull some of the old material we knew together out of the vaults, adding to the song list, though I'd never played some of those songs on guitar before. The quality of the sound is still very rough, being that Bob isn't any more in practice at this point than Jason and I are, but I'm not terribly worried about that at this stage. Lack of a lead guitar player is more problematic, since some of the transitions in the songs are based on lead guitar cues, making parts of some songs very rough. Not to mention that the instrumental sections seem a little dull when the only instruments are rhythm guitar and drums. On the plus side, Bob may not have the vocal range he once did, but the quality is still definitely there.

I don't know how much more we'll be able to get together this year, with the holidays about to keep everybody seriously busy for a while, but I'm looking forward to doing whatever we can, and hope that the new year will find us bringing a few more musicians into the mix.

No comments: