Saturday, January 17, 2009

Disturbing Dramaville

After years of writing horror material, I've finally reached the boundary of how far I'm willing to go. I was working on the next session of my local In Nomine campaign this past week and had to work out the motives and methods of a Very Bad Guy Indeed. I found myself getting so upset by the train of thought involved that it's unlikely I'll be touching this subject matter again in the future. I'll keep as much of it as possible "off screen" while actually running the game, and I don't think the players will mind, as long as they have the information they need to solve the mystery involved. I'll be able to show them more if they really want it, but I doubt that's going to happen.

This is an interesting experience in light of the fact that I've been such a horror fan for a long time and rarely run into anything too distressing for me to handle. The really distressing thing is that the subject matter I'm finding so upsetting is day-to-day life for some real people, and that's a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone!

So what exactly is the Disturbing Subject? If you know me personally and really want to know, ask me and I'll tell you, but I'm not going to talk about it any further here.

No comments: