Sunday, March 01, 2009

Music Project Update

My stepnephew Bryan joined Jason and I for today's musical session, meaning that we had a full-fledged guitar player for the first time since we've been getting together. I've been enjoying improving my guitar playing, but it was Big Fun (and actually more than a little strange) stepping back into my customary role as bassist/singer. I'd been a little concerned about how well this was going to work because of substantial gaps in age, tastes, etc., but all three of us expressed how much we enjoyed ourselves, and Bryan agreed to join us again next time!

We played through some of our usual stuff, then jammed our way through some songs Bryan already knew, some of which he was able to sing. We found at least some common ground with the White Stripes, Blink-182 and Green Day. It's not material I would've chosen myself, but I'm happy enough with it, and a significant part of the point for me in playing with other people is to expand the range of songs I'm playing.

Most importantly, there seemed to be a common thread of humor. We tried a couple of odd experiments, playing songs very differently from the original versions just for the heck of it. A good time was had by all, and I'm looking forward to playing again next month.

No comments: