Saturday, April 11, 2009

Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire

I have to admit that the ads for this show weren't funny enough to get me to watch it. It was some very hot photos of one of the cast, India de Beaufort, that did it. But the fact is, the show itself was much better than I'd expected. It reminded me of what you might get if Mel Brooks GM'd a D&D campaign, but not quite that good. You know where they're aiming when one of the first things you hear is a reference to Emperor Zanus.

The writing isn't bad, and neither is the acting. They hit the stereotypes mighty hard, but I suppose that's to be expected in a broad comedy like this. My main question is actually whether or not they can sustain the humor over the course of a series with such thin characters. One of the main cast is very much a one joke character, and the joke isn't even that funny, so how am I going to find this guy funny two or three episodes down the road?

Still there are some fun bits, especially in the dungeon rescue sequence. I won't be going out of my way to see it, but I'll watch if I happen to be up that late on a Thursday night, or if Comedy Central starts running it at some other time. I'll certainly rent it in DVD if it makes it that far. Mildly recommended if you get a kick out of Mel Brooks' style of humor or particularly enjoy fantasy material and have a sense of humor about it.

By the way, read the name "Krod Mandoon" backwards, with a little modification. I was wondering why they used this name, and found my answer.

No comments: