Friday, April 10, 2009

Meditation/Yoga

My yoga classes at work were cancelled (long story), but I've been able to continue with the same teacher by joining her classes at another location, so the faces around me have changed, but there's not a whole lot of difference in what I'm doing.

One of the things I've read about meditation is that your practice changes over time, and it doesn't always improve. I've found that to be true. I seemed to hit a peak back in February, then crashed badly when my wife and I were both very sick over a period of about three weeks or so and sleep was a lot more of a priority than meditation. Recent times have shown some improvement in results again, but I really don't understand why it can be so hard to improve your focus once you've been there. My expectation would be that, like anything else, you can get out of practice, but you can also get back into practice fairly easily as well.

I've been relatively regular about attending monthly group meditations. I couldn't tell you why, but doing it as part of a group does seem to help somehow.

Life in general has been easier of late, with my workload getting lighter, at least for the time being, and no other major stresses have popped up (knock wood). Time management continues to be a problem, if not a particularly stressful one, and that's not going to get better once the warmer weather hits and I have more to do around the house. I'm going to have to figure out more efficient ways to use my time (and I think I'm relatively effective now) or make some hard choices.

I have to admit that I've been posting less frequently and been less interesting when I do post, but a large part of the reason for that is that things in general are actually going pretty well right now. I won't mind if that continues for a while.

No comments: