Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Music Project - Most Recent Session, and the Naming Process

We almost had two guitar players for today's session, so we still had one left when one of them went down with an injury. I'm not kidding. My stepnephew was supposed to make his second appearance with us, but did his thumb some serious mischief in an accident while painting a house. He tried to play guitar afterward to test it, and when the bandages kept getting bloodier, it was obvious that this wasn't a good idea.

The new guy, Rob, hadn't yet learned all of the songs, so we primarily focused on the ones he was able to learn for the session. We really only got through four songs with him, though we did each a couple of times, and they were improving on each attempt, so we're going to invite him back and hopefully we'll be able to get more done when he's had the chance to work on more of the songs we've been playing. Unfortunately for me, he doesn't sing, so I'm still on my own in that department unless Bryan or Bob shows up again. And Rob's tastes run heavier than ours, so there are signs that if we let him pick some songs (and it's only right that he should if he'll be sticking around), I'll be putting some serious strain on my voice in the near future.

It was a real joy to stay on bass again and just focus on singing and how the bass worked with the drums for a change. I think Jason and I sounded good together for the most part, if a bit rusty in spots.

After Rob had to leave, I picked up the guitar and Jason and I ran through some new songs we haven't tried before. "Cath" by Death Cab for Cutie probably sounded the best of them. It's definitely not a song I would've chosen myself, but I really like the lyrics.

It seems as though Rob is likely to stick around, and Bryan had shown new interest (at least until he was injured), so Jason raised the issue of naming the group. I'd been thinking we didn't really need a name, since we weren't planning on playing in public apart from the odd party, but it would make some things easier if we called it something. We have a few ideas we like, but nothing finalized yet. If anyone reading this has ideas on the subject, I'm more than willing to listen.

No comments: