Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Holy Mother of God and All Her Wacky Nephews!

We've had a major snowstorm here, on top of a big one last weekend. I don't know exact measurements, but I can give you a reference point. We have a walkway leading up to the house with a support railing installed by the previous owner. The cumulative effect of the two storms is that the railing is just visible by maybe two inches over top of the snow.

My wife's employer was closed, but mine wasn't, so she dug out the end of the driveway (about four inches of snow overnight) while I finished getting ready for work, then off to work I went in spite of my better judgement. I was nearly broadsided thirty seconds later by a guy in a jeep running a stop sign that he clearly had no intention of even slowing down for until the last second. If I hadn't been paying more attention and stopped myself, he would have hit me directly in the driver's door. He looked at me, shrugged his shoulders as a sort of apology, then continued on this way.

Fortunately, the rest of the trip was tricky but less eventful. About a third to a half of our work force made it. Snow continued to be heavy, and ultimately they allowed us to leave after being at work for about an hour and a half. The trip back was much the same as the trip in, though the guy in front of me at one point was clearly having trouble seeing the road and nearly drove off it a number of times. The street where I live hadn't been plowed, and my car could barely travel it. If I'd left work just a little later, the result wouldn't have been good. It's going to be tough digging out tomorrow morning, but I'll deal with that when it comes.

So I had most of today unexpectedly to myself, and worked on the music for the Jean Grey song, among other things. I don't expect to get to work anywhere near on time tomorrow, but I do expect to get there. It could be a tough day, depending on how many of us turn up and how many people like me were crazy enough to go out today and actually did have accidents.

No comments: