Sunday, May 16, 2010

Six Person Splunge

For the first time, this session had some of the feel I've been shooting for with this group. We had Jason, Sal, Jared, and I from last time, plus a third guitar player/singer (Nick) and a female singer/percussionist (Steph).

Steph started out singing harmony and playing percussion on a few songs before taking the lead on "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty and "Runaround" from Blues Traveller. She also plays flute and keyboards, but didn't have either available to her, and her voice alone would be reason enough to invite her again. Sal expressed the opinion that the bits of percussion she was playing really added to the overall sound as well.

Nick was singing with a group for the first time, and picked the Kinks' "Lola". I wouldn't say it was perfect, but it was a fine first try. We only had one microphone for the three of us, so we had to share, but it was a blast to have three voices to work with again.

I hadn't been sure about three guitars at the same time, but it worked out well overall. Sometimes we just had two of them playing when one of the guitarists didn't know the song. I have to give credit to Sal for coordinating the three of them in ways that worked out (different voicings, etc.).

With our respective schedules, I suspect this session will be more the exception than the rule, but everybody said they had a good time and have already been e-mailing me about when we'll get together again. I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments: