Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Musical Direction Thoughts

Jason and I haven't been doing much lately (though I have located another guitar player for us to try), but we did get together this past weekend to play. Not much of note to say about it, other than that the main thing we were doing was trying to get musically reacquainted, and I finally got to actually use my new bass amplifier. My guitar playing continues to improve, to the point where I'm considering investing in some better guitar equipment if I'm going to continue to spend this much time playing the instrument.

There was a possibility of some friends getting together to play at a mutual friend's picnic that weekend, but everybody except me seemed to lose enthusiasm and/or confidence as the actual date approached, and it fell through. I had focused most of my practicing for almost a month on the particular songs we'd chosen for that event. Very frustrating, but Jason and I should be able to use two of those songs for our project, so the time wasn't entirely wasted. I'm still far more interested in playing as part of a group than performing by myself, but I can really see why some people end up playing solo when it's so hard to get people on the same page.

I'd hoped to get something musically operational together with people I already knew because the idea was more to play music with people I enjoy as a social event than to form a musically successful band, but since that hasn't worked out I suspect I'm going to have to look further afield for people (thus, the guitar player I found on a message board from a local music store). If he doesn't work out, I'm not sure exactly what we're going to do, but I think a change is necessary. The most likely possibility is that we'll try recording some original material with the two of us and see how much fun we can have doing that. Life has a way of taking you where you need to go (which almost always isn't where you wanted to go), so I'm trying to stay open to possibilities at this point.

No comments: