Saturday, July 18, 2009

That Post-Con Charge

As usual, I came out of DexCon with some inspiration to do new material. I surprised myself by sitting down to put some of the new ideas into a form I could save, and typed out four pages of rough ideas for four different scenarios before I slowed down. Looks like I won't have any trouble getting material together for next year.

I had a little time today and put some more focused effort in on my idea for Paranoia. One of the advantages of writing for this setting is that there's a standard format for adventures, and I still haven't written so much Paranoia that I feel a need to break out of that format yet. There's the mission briefing, the trip to PLC for equipment, the trip to R&D for experimental equipment, and then the actual mission can be relatively brief and simple, since most of the complications come from the character interactions. The climax should be wacky, chaotic, and destructive, then it's back to the briefing room for an epilogue.

Most of the real prep work for this one is going to be in character creation (to make sure we get the complex character interactions during actual play) and a couple of forms that I'll have to generate myself to suit one running joke. I like to have a working title, but one hasn't come to me yet for this one, though there is a particular word I want to include in it.

I've been looking forward to revisiting Paranoia for a while. It's a classic that a lot of convention GMs don't seem to tackle for one reason or another, but players always sign up for it when it's available. The writing of it is already fun.

No comments: