Saturday, September 11, 2010

Meditation and Refocus

I was slacking for a while on meditation and yoga, and started to feel the difference, so I got back on top of both over the last week or so. The really positive aspect to that is I'm feeling much better, much more aware of what to do and how to do it from here.

Re: music. Sal (one of our guitar players) taped parts of the last session. Listening to the recordings showed me that, in spite of a lot of practice over the last year and a half, my singing hasn't improved very much. I've gained a little skill, but I'm still limited by the voice nature gave me, and that's a fair voice at best. Nick (another one of the guitar players) sounds better on the recording in some respects, even with his lack of experience. I'm better at knowing what to do; he sounds better doing it. Not that I ever claimed to be lead singer material, but I was hoping I'd improved more than I did.

This reminds me that I'd be best off getting back to my customary role focusing on bass and backing vocals. I'm a good instrumentalist and only a workable (if experienced) singer, so I'm going to have to operate accordingly. And unfortunately that's not what the group I have needs from me. Sal, Jason and I are getting together to play tomorrow, and all concerned have some issues to discuss, so we'll see what comes out of that.

Re: roleplaying. The urge to write roleplaying material is creeping back, specifically to write the Lovecraftian GURPS Cabal convention scenario I've been meaning to get back to. I'll make some notes. The home GURPS Cabal campaign is going well, and I think that helps.

I'm still having something of a creative identity crisis, but if it's about getting my proportions right, I'm working my way through it.

No comments: