Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Inception & Devil

"Inception" has some nifty ideas if you can suspend disbelief regarding the idea of dreams within dreams, which doesn't work very well for me, to be honest. It's also about an hour and one layer too long (you'll know what I mean by that if you see it). I think they chose the best possible ending, though I'm sure the top continues to spin.

"Devil" is the one with five characters stuck in an elevator, and one of them may be the Devil himself. The film actually spends a lot of time with the rescuers as well as with the people in the elevator, adding a lot of depth. I'd like to have learned more about the characters in the elevator than we do, but balancing that with the mystery of which one of them is the Devil may have been too difficult to pull off. One of the key ideas of the movie is that the Devil doesn't need a lot of help because human beings are nasty enough, balanced by the fact that human beings are also capable of stepping up and showing great compassion. The ending of this one worked well for me, too, though the Devil gets just a shade too much screen time at the end to remain scary enough.

No comments: